March 15, 2010

The Fairy Tea Party

We went to Tahoe last month, and I had brought along my Family Fun magazine to read in the car. Livi was looking through it one day when we were up there and she saw something in there that I hadn't come across yet. She called me over and said, "Mom...there's something in here that I really want, and I hope you say 'yes'!" I was thinking it must be some toy or craft or something, but it was an article about this fairy tea party that some little girls had. The pictures showed white toule hanging down from the ceiling, with pretty flowers attached to it, that came down and surrounded a table that was set with a pretty tablecloth and yummy food and tea. And the girls were dressed up and had their hair done up with fancy headbands, and when she saw this, she just "had to have it!"

The look on her face as she was absorbing all this while looking at the pictures was SO cute. She had that page bookmarked and constantly referred back to it. When we got home, she carried it around all the time and slept with the magazine in her bed open to that page, and wanted to know when we were going to do our own tea party.

So we talked about it a lot, and I thought it would be really fun to actually indulge her, so I told her we'd put it on the calendar so we could plan for it and get everything together that we needed to make it as special as she was hoping it would be. She just wanted our family to be there, and I was ordered to dress up fancy, too. She had in mind exactly what she wanted to wear, and how she wanted her hair done. Jason painted her nails in the colors she wanted, and applied sparkly powder to her her arms and neck. And of course, her new earrings would be a perfect addition to the attire.

She really wanted the toule to be part of the decorations, so we made a trip to the craft store and got 4 yards of toule (fortunately it was WAY cheaper than I had thought it was going into this). All week long she made decorations out of paper and markers and glitter and hung them up all over the walls in the playroom (her old room, baby's new room). We bought some silk flowers and attached them to the toule and hung it from the ceiling. It didn't quite drape down and around us or our table, because that would have been way more toule (and $) than I wanted to have/spend for this occasion, but it did look fun & pretty hanging above our table, and Livi was satisfied with it. :-)

We got out our small table and the plan was for us to kneel by it while we had our tea, so we got out a tablecloth and set the table with teacups and saucers and a small vase of the silk flowers and cloth napkins for everyone.

We prepared the food - chocolate dipped strawberries, sugar cookie star wands, cheese & crackers and grapes, and of course, the tea.

It was so cute to see her excitement during the several days that we were preparing for this day. She was so thrilled that we were actually doing it and making it look sort of like what she saw in the magazine. Fun memories were made that day, for sure.

Here are some pictures from the tea party. :-)










10 comments:

Christi said...

You are seriously the best mom ever. I love this whole entire thing and how you just completely went with her ideas. And Carson and Jason are the best sports for coming to her special tea party - that's the perfect guest list.

Cathy said...

So cute and sweet. The kids are getting so big. What a special memory for Liv especially, but also your whole family!

The Robinson Family said...

What a fun idea! It looked beautiful and looks like fun was had by all! : ) I'm sure Olivia will treasure those kinds of memories forever.

P.S. Good job, Jason, on the nail painting. I'll have to see if Dusty possesses those skills also for his daughters.

Bethany said...

Adorable! You really went all out. How fun! I wanted to have a fairy tea party when I saw that article too. I'll have to show it to Tori and start planning.

the mathisons said...

I remember her seeing that picture in the magazine :) She is quite the party planner with a great mom to help make her dream realized. You really are a wonderful mom, Michelle... I admire you.

E and K said...

Reading this made me a little teary-eyed. What a wonderful memory! This is the stuff that it is really all about, isn't it?! : ) Good job on taking the time and putting forth the effort to make a little dream come true : )

You with us said...

Yea! The tea party turned out great. It is so fun to remember the genesis of the idea and see how well you pulled it off. How fun to be able to plan it together and pull it off so well.

PS. Sign me up for the sugar cookie wands:)!

Amy said...

I love this, Michelle! You are such a fun, creative mom. I love how you have always encouraged this in your kids. You inspire me!!!

melissa said...

Love it!!! It looked so special that I wanted to be there!! Yeah, the cookie wands looked wonderful!! You are a great mom!!

Marcy said...

Such a FUN idea! I haven't decided when I should show this to Sophie. She will love it:) I love your creativity! What a gift your children will cherish for years to come...