November 24, 2007

Monarch Migration



A couple weeks ago we went to see the Monarch Butterflies that are migrating south for the winter. They come to an area in Natural Bridges State Beach in Santa Cruz that is filled with Eucalyptus trees and milk weed, which they feed on. It was pretty cool to take the monarch trail back through the woods to the place where you look up and see hundreds of them all flitting around from tree to tree. I thought they'd be much closer up for us to see, and I think sometimes they are, but that day they were all up pretty high flying around. It still was really neat and I'm glad we got to see them. The kids had a great time hiking on the trail and finding cool sticks to play with.



2 comments:

E and K said...

Eric and I spent a weekend in a bed and breakfast near Monterey for our first anniversary. We went to a place there that was also supposed to have all the monarch butterflies, but we hit it just a little late in the season and only saw one. I was a little disappointed. I'm glad your trip was more successful : )

Angie @ Flibbertigibberish said...

That sounds fun, Michelle! You find the coolest little things to do there. It makes me think I need to investigate and see what gems I can find around here.

Cute pictures. Your hair looks so long!